Beetroot is a prehistoric vegetable packed with nutrients that are too often ignored. If you are one of those ‘ I don’t eat beetroot’ kind of people, stick around to hear me out, – homemade beetroot chips are the bomb! Not only do they taste delicious, they are a vital source of ‘good’ carbohydrate and sugar that will give you loads of energy. In fact, beetroot has the highest sugar content of any vegetable! So, kids should love them. For the health conscious, beetroot are packed with incredible nutrients that can lower your blood pressure, boost your stamina, fight inflammation and support detoxification.
And, I can’t not mention their colour! Not many foods can leave their mark like a beetroot! Did you know that the powerful phytonutrients that give beets their deep crimson colour may even help to ward off cancer? So, you can’t beat the beetroot when it comes to health benefits and they never tasted so moreish than in a crunchy chip! The dehydration process preserves all these nutrients, so they really are the perfect, pick-me-up crispy, snack!
4 medium beetroot
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of fine Himalayan salt
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1. Peel the beetroot.
2. Slice the beetroot as fine as possible. A mandolin is the easiest way to do this.
3. Finely chop the rosemary.
4. Combine the beetroot, oil, salt and rosemary in a bowl. Use your hands to coat with the oil and seasoning. The salt will draw out water from the beets and make separating and coating the slices easier.
5. Lay the slices of beetroot in a single layer on the dehydrator trays. The edges may overlap slightly but be sure to leave spaces for adequate air- flow.
6. Stack the trays and switch the dehydrator at a medium setting. Approx. 45 degrees Celsius (115 F) for 12 -18 hours or until crispy.
7. Allow the chips to cool completely then pack into airtight containers. Dehydrated vegetables will stay fresh for several months but I doubt they will last that long!