This chicken and sweetcorn soup is based on a classic Chinese take-out, family favourite. It’s so easy to make at home – and no doubt a lot healthier and fresher!
The secret to the authentic, full flavour is our delicious made-from-scratch chicken stock base. Even without the traditional ‘egg drop’ it has the perfect texture. We use fresh, juicy corn off the cob and a few potatoes for extra creaminess. There’s tons of Asian flavours with loads of fresh ginger, shallots and garlic – but it won’t be too spicy for the kids. If you fancy this with a little extra kick, simply add a sprinkle of freshly chopped chilli and spring onion.
We start the soup off on the stove top, then finish it nice and easy in the Vibe blender, heat-proof, stainless-steel jug. In 10 seconds flat, your chicken and sweetcorn soup is ready to serve and still piping hot.
This soup is about as comforting as it gets and something the whole family will enjoy. It’s hearty enough not just to be a Winter starter but a healthy, simple meal that’s perfect any time of the year.
Makes 3 large or 4 entrée size bowls.
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
3 cloves of garlic squashed
6 shallots peeled and quartered
1 thumb of fresh ginger chopped
1 chicken Maryland (or 2 thigh bones)
3 cups water
3 cobs of corn
2 medium potatoes – peeled
1 tablespoon of soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
½ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
Spring onions chopped for garnishing
Chilies sliced for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the garlic, shallots and ginger and set aside.
2. Slice the corn kernels off the cobs.
3. Peel and roughly chop the potatoes.
4. Cut away any excess fat from the chicken bones.
5. Heat the sesame oil in a large saucepan.
6. Lightly brown the chicken on both sides then remove from the pot and reserve on a plate.
7. Place the shallots, ginger and garlic into the saucepan and lightly sauté.
8. Return the chicken to the pot and add the corn, potato and water.
9. Simmer for 45 minutes or until the potato is soft and the chicken is falling off the bone.
10. Remove the cooked chicken pieces. Place on a plate to cool slightly, then shred into strips. Discard the bones.
11. With a slotted spoon, scoop out approx. half a cup of corn kernels and set aside.
12. Pour the hot soup mixture into the stainless-steel Vibe Blender jug.
13. Add the soy/tamari sauce, cooking wine, salt and white pepper.
14. Secure the lip on the blender jug and blend on ‘soup’ mode for 10 seconds or longer is you want the texture extra smooth.
15. Remove the lid. Add the shredded chicken and corn and stir with a spoon to incorporate. (Reserve some for garnishing).
16. Pour the soup into serving bowls.
17. Garnish with strips of chicken, a sprinkle of corn, sliced spring onion and optional chilli.