LAYERED COCONUT YOGHURT BERRY CHIA POTS
Posted on May 15 2018
BREAKFAST, DESSERT, ANYTIME?
Layered coconut yogurt and berry chia pots must be one of the prettiest things you could ever make. And so easy! The biggest challenge is knowing when to have one! For breakfast or dessert? Or – even better – pop the pudding into a jar and take it to work for lunch!
I used this easy homemade coconut yogurt but it would be just as delicious made with traditional cow's milk yogurt, goat milk yogurt or any other alternative yogurt you fancy. Why not try almond milk yogurt? There are no strict rules with chia puddings - substitute to suit your dietary preferences. This recipe is failsafe!
When I soak chia, I aim to sponge up as much lacto fermented probiotic goodness as possible. Consider adding the watery (whey) content that separates from yogurt instead of milk? In this case, I added the coconut water under my coconut cream yogurt instead of coconut milk. It is too good to discard!
No time for layers? You can skip the layers and make one pink pot instead. It will taste the same.
INGREDIENTS – (serves 2)
1 cup of homemade coconut yogurt
½ cup of coconut milk (or the coconut water that separates from coconut yogurt)
¼ cup of chia seeds
1 vanilla bean scraped to remove all the seeds or 2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup
¾ cup organic blueberries (fresh or frozen)
¾ cup organic raspberries (fresh or frozen)
¼ teaspoon powdered cinnamon
Fresh berries to put on top
1. Combine the yoghurt, coconut milk, chia seeds, vanilla and honey (or maple) in a bowl and stir to combine well.
2. Place the chia mixture in the fridge for anywhere between 1 hour and overnight. The chia seeds will expand and become soft and gelatinous.
3. If using frozen berries, allow the berries to defrost then blend with the cinnamon to form a smooth berry purée.
4. Divide the chia pudding mixture into 3 small bowls.
5. Add 1/3 of the berry purée to one bowl of chia pudding and stir to combine. Add the remaining two-thirds to the second bowl and keep one bowl a la natural.
6. Spoon layers of chia pudding into 2 jars.
7. Top with berries.
Enjoy immediately or keep in the fridge for up to a week.